Notes on Motherhood
1. Embrace imperfection
2. Pace yourself; it is a marathon!
3. Be wary of blogs written by women who home-school their 5 children, grow their own food, keep goats, sew all their clothes & own a spinning wheel... They will make you feel woefully inadequate.
4. Read Rachel Powers' Motherhood & Creativity. It saved my sanity - I have read it many times!
5. The longer you spend cooking something, the more likely they are to hate it. Fact.
6. Sleeping "through the night" starts happening between age 2 to 3 - be sceptical of anyone who claims otherwise.
7. Breastfeeding takes a bit of practice, but it is a beautiful thing and it gets easier.
8. You will feel like someone transformed after you have a baby, but every now & again, you'll catch a glimpse of the person you used to be. This change is a good thing! Accept & nourish it.
9. Be kind to yourself & enjoy the ride. The days are long, but the years are short.
10. Everyone will give you advice, especially total strangers. Take what is helpful & constructive; discard the rest.
Motherhood is the hardest, but the best thing, I have ever, ever done...