makar [ˈmækər]
n (Literature / Poetry) Scot a creative artist, esp a poet
[a Scot variant of maker]

Monday, February 15, 2016

So here I am. In a very quiet house with a cup of coffee, trying to focus my mind and feeling anything but focused. It all seems very strange, as if I'm learning how to do this new thing of being at home without my kids, just as all those years ago I had to learn how to be at home with them. I feel guilty if I'm not writing and I feel guilty if I write and ignore all the millions of jobs that need to be done. Mostly, I just feel odd and slightly giddy. I'm reading Elizaeth's Gilbert's Big Magic, and although I'm not in agreement with everything she claims, this book is exactly what I need to be reading at this moment. It's the equivalent of someone wrapping their arm around my shoulder, squeezing me tight, and saying: "just keep going, keep doing the thing you need to do. Be brave; don't panic." And now I better pour another coffee and start work...

Photo by David Bailey (Jeanne Moreau in 1964)

1 comment:

  1. "just keep going, keep doing the thing you need to do" Yes. This is a bit of a mantra for me at the moment also. Keep up the good work - it's worthwhile xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...