makar [ˈmækər]
n (Literature / Poetry) Scot a creative artist, esp a poet
[a Scot variant of maker]

Sunday, March 15, 2015

Ten years ago, I celebrated my 25th birthday, dancing in a nightclub in Edinburgh. I drank vodka and soda and smoked my last ever cigarette. I was pretty miserable at the time. The next day I came down with flu and was in bed for a week. Today, I went to the beach with my three kids, ate lots of amazing food cooked by my husband, and drank some old and delicious red wine. I was given flowers and plants and some money to spend shopping for vintage furniture. So much has changed, it makes me think ten year plans are kind of ridiculous! I may have crappy days, but I'm so much happier now than I was back then. I know what motivates me and what I want from life. This morning, I lay in bed with my two year old sleeping next to me, and thought about what I'd like to change. Mostly, I just want to get on with doing some of the things that I procrastinate about; to overcome my fear of failure and to give it a go. In the words of Nick Cave: "The worth of the idea never becomes apparent until you do it." Amen to that.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...