makar [ˈmækər]
n (Literature / Poetry) Scot a creative artist, esp a poet
[a Scot variant of maker]

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

So, it is almost five year since I started this blog, which is kind of insane! A lot has changed in my life over those years and also in terms of the content of this tiny plot of cyberspace. Back then it was all about long days at home, cooking and crafting, with an abundance of photographs and only a few words. Now the emphasis is much more on writing, with fewer photos and plenty of words. I post less frequently, but when I do, I have more to say. I may still spend my days at home with a small person, but I am now a school mum and this has, of course, dramatically changed our lives. The days, weeks, months, years are structured and busy, and it is a struggle to give the kids enough unscheduled time to be free and creative. I do however have more time to write now, than I did back then, and more energy to pursue my interests.

I settled on the name, Mama Makar, because I wanted my blog to reflect the two major preoccupations in my life: motherhood and writing. Over the years, the content has moved away from being almost entirely about the very consuming role of mother, to focus far more on writing and creativity. Despite this, I see the two as intricately linked. Someone asked me today if having children has helped me to be more imaginative, and the answer is yes, I think it has. Observing my children play and witnessing their impulsiveness and determination, their inquisitiveness and wonder, their joy in the world, and their fearless approach to a creative undertaking - how could that not be an inspiration? But it is certainly not easy to balance the two major parts of my life, and sometimes it leaves me feeling frustrated and dispirited.

In some ways, I wish I could go back to posting more frequently about cooking and crafting and the simple things we do everyday. I like sharing our days and celebrating what might otherwise seem mundane. I have never intentionally changed the course of my blog; it has just evolved over time, as I have done. I remain unsure as to how interesting any of this is to anyone else, but I like writing it, and that surely is the most important thing of all.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...