makar [ˈmækər]
n (Literature / Poetry) Scot a creative artist, esp a poet
[a Scot variant of maker]

Saturday, March 14, 2015

I'm in the thick of writing my first draft and 33, 000 words into a manuscript that will probably be about 80,000. Sometimes, I feel completely lost and I have no idea where it's going or what to write next. It feels a lot like making my way through the house on a pitch black night. Panic nudges at me but I have to push it aside and just keep moving, accepting that I can't see clearly where I'm heading. I'm trying to accept the fear, the sensation of falling, as part of the process. I just write and add to the word count, comforting myself with the knowledge that I will one day have a first draft, a substantial chunk of writing, to mold into something that makes sense and conveys what I want it to. You have to be brave to write a novel and I don't feel very brave, but I'm more afraid of doing nothing or saying nothing and that's what drives me on through all the self-doubt. I don't yet know how it's going to end, but I'm very keen to find out. And I take strength from this quotation:

"Words create sentences; sentences create paragraphs; sometimes paragraphs quicken and begin to breathe.” Stephen King, On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft



2 comments:

  1. Oh, I feel for you....I've had books in my head for years. I sat down to write one in November for NaNoWriMo. I got it out of my head. All 60,000 words of it. I'm now in th thick of editing it. LOVE the Stephen King quote....it's all about reaching that level of flow, isn't it......good luck.....it will make itself known, it will come out....you can and will do this!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, well done, that's amazing! Yes, I'm a fast reader and a slow writer. Just got to keep going! Happy editing. xK

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...