makar [ˈmækər]
n (Literature / Poetry) Scot a creative artist, esp a poet
[a Scot variant of maker]

Monday, January 12, 2015

So last week, I spent 5 days writing and reading and thinking about my novel and thesis. It went so fast, but it was bliss and I loved every minute of it. I wrote less than I thought I would, but I'm happy with what I produced, especially because I had a handful of breakthrough moments regarding character and plot. Yay! The best bit though was getting the chance to have that sustained concentration that you so need in order to see the bigger picture and to pull together all the seemingly disparate parts. I went through an array of emotions during the week - at one point I was ready to quit my doctorate, then I was going to take 6 months off - but by the end, everything began to slot into place and I started to feel confident again. It was almost as if I needed to get to that point of desperation - to feel I had nothing to lose - to just take some risks and see what came of it. More than anything, it gave me a little taste of the future; of a time when I'll be able to spend hour after hour, day after day, doing what I love. For the next year, I'm just going to enjoy the company of that cheeky almost 3 year old and grab the chance to write when I can.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...