makar [ˈmækər]
n (Literature / Poetry) Scot a creative artist, esp a poet
[a Scot variant of maker]

Monday, January 19, 2015

A little while ago, I sat down to write in a favourite cafe and was confronted by this:

Woah! It was 9.30am and my long mac hadn't even arrived - I sure wasn't ready for that kind of BIG question. I tried not to think about it - I had a scene to write and books to read - but it crept into my head and refused to go away. Then yesterday, we were watching Mama Kin singing her beautiful songs and she mentioned this same question, worded slightly differently and far more positively: "What would you do if you had no fear?" This time, I really started to think about it...

I would learn to drive
I would talk to people who interest me, even if they intimidate me
I would swim out of my depth in the ocean (somewhere along the way, I became terrified of sharks)
I would draw and paint and sculpt and write and not worry about where it was heading

I'm sure there are more - I'm still thinking about it. While I am too fearful and it does hinder me, I also think a touch of fear might not be such a bad thing sometimes. It might make us a bit more cautious - allowing us to figure things out before we leap - and act as a means of self-preservation. But, yes, I do wish I could be braver.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...