makar [ˈmækər]
n (Literature / Poetry) Scot a creative artist, esp a poet
[a Scot variant of maker]

Monday, August 11, 2014

My daughter's doing a project on "work" this term and she has to do a little 5 minute presentation in a few weeks on the title: "What do you want to be when you grow up?" She's pretty adamant about what she wants to do and has been for a year or so. There have been a few others: super fairy, doctor, ballerina. Anyway, I imagine it will probably change again and possibly even come back to the one she wants to do at present. It made me think about all the jobs I've wanted to do over the years and what connects them. These are the ones I can remember:

princess
nurse
artist (over and over, again and again)
children's book illustrator
chef (but I had a difficult teenage relationship to food, enough said)
fashion designer (for a looooong time)
actress (way too shy)
editor of British Vogue (way too scruffy)
film director
travel writer
script writer
set designer (even applied to central st martins but they told me to direct instead)
documentary director (worked in docs for a few years, made lots of tea)
florist (I love flowers)
cookery writer
novelist (this one has never gone away)
children's book editor (I kind of did do this for a little while; then I had a baby)
blogger
PhD student (yay!)

I guess what links most of these different jobs or types of work is people and their stories because that's really what makes me tick. I want to be creative and make something, and also to explore why people do what they do. I'm a really visual person and I love beautiful things, but I like ideas too. I enjoy being lost in my dreams and stories, and working where and when I want too. I think I have always wanted to be a writer or an artist but I've been too scared at times to admit it. I remember my mama saying to me once that her career made sense in retrospect but not when she was in the thick of it and trying to make decisions about what to do next. She did lots of exciting stuff and found a niche in her field that was satisfying and meaningful. I hope that my daughter enjoys the journey and finds the kind of work that best suits her temperament and talents; that gives her a sense of meaning and, above all, happiness.








 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...