makar [ˈmækər]
n (Literature / Poetry) Scot a creative artist, esp a poet
[a Scot variant of maker]

Sunday, May 11, 2014

Back when we were students, my housemate accused me of being a literary snob because I refused to read Harry Potter. She was, of course, completely right - I had absolutely no interest in wasting my time reading Harry Potter because firstly, it was for children, and secondly, everyone was hooked on it. Instead of admitting to my snobby, elitist inclinations, I told her I wanted to save the series for when I had children of my own. Then we could read them for the first time together - wouldn't that be wonderful? Well, here I am reading Harry Potter & The Philosopher's Stone to an enraptured 6 year old and a vaguely interested 4 year old. And what do I think? I really like it, and it is wonderful discovering the world of Hogwarts together, but that said, I'm not about to sneak off and read ahead on my own!

Here are some other books we've read lately and enjoyed:

Beyond the Pawpaw Trees by Palmer Brown
The Silver Nutmeg by Palmer Brown
A Fox called Sorrow by Isobelle Carmody
Classic Fairy Tales told by Berlie Doherty
Operation Bunny by Sally Gardener
The Fairy Doll & Other Tales from The Dolls' House by Rumer Godden
The Clockwork Forrest by Doug MacLeod
Oliver and The Seawigs by Philip Reeve











No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...