makar [ˈmækər]
n (Literature / Poetry) Scot a creative artist, esp a poet
[a Scot variant of maker]

Thursday, March 6, 2014

I'm turning 34 this month and for some reason this seems like a big one. Not that I'm freaking out; just taking note. I guess it's because I'm now in my mid-thirties and moving into a different realm. I think I had a similar reckoning when I was 24. I remember realising that I wasn't young anymore and that this was it! My life, happening, right now. Looking back a decade, I can see that it was a massive year for me. I decided I didn't want a career; I left London and my job; I moved to a new city; I started living with my boyfriend; I went back to university; I made friends with some amazing people and fellow writers; I lost my mum to cancer; and I began writing my first novel. Strangely, it was one of the happiest and saddest years of my life to date. And it seems like such a long time ago. Some days I feel really old; some days I still feel young (and very silly). I wonder what this year will hold for me...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...