makar [ˈmækər]
n (Literature / Poetry) Scot a creative artist, esp a poet
[a Scot variant of maker]

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

I signed up to take part in the Australian Women Writers 2014 Challenge to read six books (and review four) by Australian women authors. So far, I've read two amazing books (Gilgamesh by Joan London and Cosmo Cosmolino by Helen Garner) and I'm just beginning a third (Burial Rites by Hannah Kent). I found them both fascinating in very different ways. I just wanted to devour Gilgamesh, carrying it everywhere and sneakily reading the odd paragraph whenever the kids allowed me too. I love Joan London's writing (The Good Parents is one of those books that has stayed with me) and this novel was full of adventure and the exotic, and was a wonderful escape from the reality of my days. Cosmo Cosmolino was a more uncomfortable and less easy read for me (a character with your name suffering a horrible death is always a little awkward...), but it was a powerful novel and ultimately, one that I will reflect on often. I think Helen Garner is an amazing writer but this was quite different from the other books of hers that I've read. Still, I found it bewitching. For me, both novels shared a pervading atmosphere and a powerful sense of place; qualities I very much like to find in a novel.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...