makar [ˈmækər]
n (Literature / Poetry) Scot a creative artist, esp a poet
[a Scot variant of maker]

Thursday, February 27, 2014


I've changed the way I write out of necessity and I've been placing a lot of pressure on myself, during those focused and brief bouts of creativity, to be as productive as I can. I've spent a lot of time plotting and structuring and building up the background of characters. These are things I've never been particularly concerned with before; certainly not in the early, first draft stages of writing. But I've lost something: the lyricism is missing. And so I've decided to just slow down. To read some poetry; to listen to more music; to allow myself some space to think; to stop and notice all the small things. I feel like I'm just hurtling through the days, trying to keep everything together, and I don't really allow myself to feel or experience the details of my environment. I need to feed my creativity; not just expect to be able to churn out the words without any nourishment. If I don't, my writing is going to start to resemble a spreadsheet and I hate spreadsheets.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...