makar [ˈmækər]
n (Literature / Poetry) Scot a creative artist, esp a poet
[a Scot variant of maker]

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

I had a coffee with a friend this morning and we were talking about all the usual stuff: motherhood, vocations, the meaning of it all... And she said something along the lines of "you're not the same person after becoming a mother, as you were before." For me, this makes perfect sense. I don't think we do stay the same throughout our lives and when you have children, you undergo a momentous change. It would be impossible not to. Still, most of us are so caught up in just surviving those first few years that we don't realise how much has changed. When we do surface and discover that we aren't the person we used to be, it's a MASSIVE shock! Who the hell am I? What should I do with my life? What are my values now? Maybe some people don't see it like this, but I do. Yes, there are some parts of me that are unchanged, but I'm definitely not the person I used to be. Last year, I tried to open up my mind to wider possibilities; to consider things I had long ago ruled out; to pinpoint what I'm really passionate about and to discard the extraneous, decorative stuff that I don't need anymore. I think I'm getting there. Another friend was talking recently about transformation and I think that is what motherhood (or parenthood) brings about. It's a period of transformation and it's only once things calm down that we are able to reflect on this and see it for what it is.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...