makar [ˈmækər]
n (Literature / Poetry) Scot a creative artist, esp a poet
[a Scot variant of maker]

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

I've been working on a novel (the first one having been consigned to the bottom drawer) for a few years now. I never get to spend big chunks of time writing and sometimes weeks go by and I hardly even think about it. But I know there is something there because I keep returning to it and I cannot let it go. However it's hard to get back into a story when you have such considerable breaks between writing sessions, so I have the following quotations pinned to the noticeboard above my desk. They draw me back into the world I'm creating and remind me of the ideas on which I will build the novel. It's about home and what it means to find or create one. I'm the daughter of an architect and a designer and I have been obsessed with this theme for as long as I can remember. I don't know if these quotations will make it into the novel but they're helping me to write it.


"Every wall is a door."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

“The body is a house of many windows: there we all sit, showing ourselves and crying on the passers-by to come in and love us.”
Robert Louis Stevenson

“How often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.”
William Faulkner

“We build too many walls and not enough bridges.”
Isaac Newton

“Do not worry if you have built your castles in the air. They are where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.”
Henry David Thoreau

“Design is not making beauty, beauty emerges from selection, affinities, integration, love.”
Louis Kahn








No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...