makar [ˈmækər]
n (Literature / Poetry) Scot a creative artist, esp a poet
[a Scot variant of maker]

Wednesday, July 25, 2012




I love cooking, partly because I find it relaxing. Cooking with children? Not so much. Still, in an attempt to broaden their tastes (approximately 8 out of 10 meals are met with disdain), and because everyone should be able to cook, I've been making a concerted effort to encourage my kids to help with dinner. They've always participated in baking, but I generally do the "serious" cooking myself, perhaps because by 4pm, I quite want to escape to the therapeutic realm of the kitchen and listen to the radio in (relative) peace. Anyway, for the last couple of months, I've set aside one of our days at home for some culinary initiation, the idea being that they help prepare the main meal and a dessert. It's been tricky thinking of recipes that they can really participate in, and also might actually eat, but things which involve lots of chopping seem to work well. Using the pestle and mortar is also met with much enthusiasm. As to whether it's encouraged my kids to be a little more adventurous in their tastes, the jury's out, but I have discovered that they like rice pudding or, as it's known, "that special porridge".


This carrot cake, which the little ones also helped bake for Grandad's birthday, is possibly the best I've ever made. The recipe is from the gorgeous book, The Edible Balcony by Indira Naidoo. Of course, they only liked the icing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...