makar [ˈmækər]
n (Literature / Poetry) Scot a creative artist, esp a poet
[a Scot variant of maker]

Saturday, July 21, 2012



For a mother of three, I am at 32, on the younger side, but lately I've been feeling pretty damn old. Maybe it's the almost back-to-back viruses we've all been suffering this winter, or the lack of sleep due to our new addition, or perhaps that innocent little comment my daughter made the other day at breakfast... Anyway, it seems to me that motherhood is aging me at some kind of accelerated pace. After I had my daughter, shocked at the state of my eyes, I invested in eye cream for the first time. I was 27, and when I look back at those pictures, I look about fifteen! Suffice to say, I haven't bought any since.  Of course, my body is never going to be like it was before I had children, and I don't really care about that. I am far more comfortable with it now than I ever was before I acquired all these stretch marks and extra bits (back fat, I never even knew you existed!), but I don't think I've really worked out what to dress this new shape in. I've never been much of a shopper, but I always knew what suited me and what didn't, and now, on the very rare occasion that I do attempt to shop for clothes, I have no idea what to buy. It's not only my body that is different (even my shoe size has changed), but my whole life. I don't work and I don't go out drinking anymore, and that was pretty much all my life was before children. I've never been high maintenance, but there were a few things that I always did: wear mascara, paint my toe nails, and wash my hair every single day. Let's just say standards have slipped a lot! Today, I went to the hairdresser - it's been at least two years - and, despite the cold that's hanging about, and the exhaustion at the end of a long week at home with a sick child that won't eat, I feel so much lighter and younger. I guess I do need to find the time to care a little more, and to work out who this new person is.

2 comments:

  1. I bought eye cream for the first (and last) time after having J, at the ripe old age 26! Now I too look back at those photos of me, taken a whole 2 1/2 years ago, and also think how young and fresh I looked compared to now!! I wonder what percentage of eye-cream sales can be attributed to first-time mothers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny! If only they could invent an eye cream that made you both look and feel like you'd had a good night's sleep... Xx

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...