makar [ˈmækər]
n (Literature / Poetry) Scot a creative artist, esp a poet
[a Scot variant of maker]

Monday, February 6, 2012



It's all change here: new job, new Kindy girl, new routine, and in less than 8 weeks (it's wishful thinking, but I reckon this one might be early...), a new baby. Aside from packed lunches and getting there on time, the thing that has most worried me about my eldest starting Kindergarten, is how her brother will cope without her, or perhaps how I'll cope with him, without her. Strange to be more daunted by the prospect of being home alone with one kid, than two, or even three! Today was our first proper day at home, just the two of us, and it felt odd, but also rather peaceful and wonderful. Apart from a brief moment, when we reached the front door and he asked where she was and demanded to return to the school, he seemed fairly unfazed by her absence. He also played really well on his own and wasn't in the least bit interested in helping me cook. I want to make the most of our time together, before the baby arrives, and he has to share me with the demands of another again.

Anyway, once we were all back home and ice lollies had been consumed, I let them watch Charlie and Lola, and crept off to have a cup of tea and read the last two chapters of my book (mummies need treats too): The Submerged Cathedral by Charlotte Wood. It probably should be added to the list of books not to read when pregnant, but it was beautiful and elegant and so poignant, and I loved it! Her writing feels very effortless and simple, but it must involve so much hard work to write that well. I really want to read her latest, Animal People, but I have a big stack of books to get through before I buy another, and a little boy to entertain too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...