makar [ˈmækər]
n (Literature / Poetry) Scot a creative artist, esp a poet
[a Scot variant of maker]

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

A few words on Peter Høeg's Miss Smila's Feeling For Snow...




This was the book I received in my book group's Secret Santa - we all selected a favourite book, wrapped it up, and then exchanged gifts. I'd scanned the back cover of this novel a couple of times, but never quite got down to reading it, so I was pleased to get the chance. I have to say that it was so not the sort of book I like to read, but I guess that was the objective of the Secret Santa and indeed of bookgroup: to read things you might not normally be drawn towards and thus expand the scope of your reading. While I could appreciate the skill of the writer, I found myself bogged down by the dense scientific descriptions, and bemused by the incredulous plot. Perhaps my biggest problem with the book, however, lay with the protagonist, Smila, and my inability to believe in her as anything other than a male creation. All those negatives aside, I really couldn't see where the book was taking me and how it would end, and that was both refreshing and exciting. As for reading a book about snow and ice in the heat of a WA Summer? A very strange experience indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...