makar [ˈmækər]
n (Literature / Poetry) Scot a creative artist, esp a poet
[a Scot variant of maker]

Sunday, January 1, 2012



A few months back, I was looking through a shoebox of keepsakes with my daughter, when I found a funny little list of resolutions. It was from 1996, the year I turned 16, and was typed up and bullet-pointed. It had been stuck in the front of my diary, but at some point I must have ripped it out, thrown away the diary (most definitely not worth keeping), and slid it into this box. What I found most interesting about this list was how, give or take a few, I could easily have compiled the same list of resolutions this New Year's Eve, 16 years later. So broad and generic were the resolutions that they could apply year after year after year. Whether or not one fulfilled them was really such a subjective matter that I had obviously set myself up not to fail. Anyway, navel-gazer that I am, this got me thinking about my resolutions this year.

My main one is to be more organised. I have been suffering from 4am panics regarding the logistics of "managing" 3 under 5. If we're all to stay sane and happy then I'm going to need to get a little more on top of some things, while excepting that standards may have to be lowered in certain areas. Perhaps I could give up washing my hair every single day? Would scrambled eggs for dinner, now and again, be acceptable? Maybe I really should do just one big food shop each week? Anyway, I've decided I have to get my stuff together a bit more and stop winging it all the time. I'm never going to be one for spread-sheets, but a touch more forward-planning could make a lot of difference.

Aside from that biggie, my other resolution is far more specific. I've selected 12 books from my bulging shelves of mostly unread novels, and set myself the goal of reading them over the next 12 months. They won't be all that I read (I'll have book group choices too), but hopefully this will help me focus and possibly (yeah, right) even stop me from buying more and more and still more books. I may even try to write a few sentences about them on this blog. So, here's the list:
  • Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow by Peter Høeg
  • Freedom by Jonathan Franzen
  • The Shark Net by Robert Drewe
  • Samarkand by Amin Malouf
  • The Hand that First Held Mine by Maggie O'Farrell
  • Gilgamesh by Joan London
  • How Children Learn by John Holt
  • Wonders of a Godless World by Andrew McGahan
  • the boat by Nam Le
  • Joe Cinque's Consolation by Helen Garner
  • This Side of Brightness by Colum McCann
  • The Submerged Cathedral by Charlotte Wood

Yep, still typing up and bullet-pointing my resolutions. Happy (and productive) New Year!

3 comments:

  1. Ha, Tristan asked me if something I was writing the other day would work better as a spreadsheet - I just laughed at him.
    I think scrambled eggs make a perfectly respectable dinner, myself. As was the hummous and vegetables I scraped together tonight when all my other plans went out the window!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scrambled eggs is quite nutritious in my books.

    You're planning to read 24 books in the year your third child (under 5) is born! Hmm, better get timetabling. I don't read half that many books and i have only two of em.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, it's good to be ambitious! I figure I'll be sat still breastfeeding a great deal and may manage to sneak in the odd paragraph before anyone notices. I live in hope... X

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...