makar [ˈmækər]
n (Literature / Poetry) Scot a creative artist, esp a poet
[a Scot variant of maker]

Wednesday, November 23, 2011



I am probably the least likely person to meal-plan. In fact, before children I would mostly decide what to have for dinner while standing in an aisle of the supermarket, somewhere between work and home, at about 7pm. Anyway, I love to cook, but lately I've been finding it's lost some of the joy for me and has become another chore. So, in a bid to put the zing back into my relationship with cooking, I've started planning meals, or meal-planning of sorts. For the last couple of weeks, I've sat down on a Monday morning with a few recipe books and composed a list of four or five meals for the week ahead. I mix it up with a few new recipes I want to try, some definite hits with the kids, and a super easy, I-could-cook-this-in-my-sleep, option for the day when everything gets too much. I don't do anything as sensible as go to the shop and buy all the ingredients in one hit, but I do have something to refer back to throughout the week, when inspiration has been replaced by exhaustion. We still seem to head to the shops most days - not always that much fun with no car, stupidly hot days, and two rascals who won't take no for an answer - but it keeps us occupied, means everything is fresh, and ensures that I don't throw any spoiled food away. Anyway, I love it: I've tried some great new meals, which have been met with enthusiasm, plus it seems to have taken a lot of the stress out of cooking and made it a pleasure once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...