makar [ˈmækər]
n (Literature / Poetry) Scot a creative artist, esp a poet
[a Scot variant of maker]

Monday, November 7, 2011


From the first time I struggled to find anything to wear.

These days, I'm spending more time than I'd like to trying to work out what on earth to wear. By this, I mean more than a minute and less than five, but time is precious in the morning and my children impatient. I've had some very lovely donations from other mums, which have helped enormously, but I really haven't got the hang of dressing the bump yet and I suspect I never will. Part of the problem is that in terms of body-shape, I'm probably most suited to the 1950s. I have a waist, or at least I once did, and dressed accordingly: full skirts and fitted tops were my staple; low-rise, skinny jeans and empire line dresses my arch enemies. A thickening waist and a protruding belly, not to mention the ever widening hips and ample bosom, have completely changed what does and does not suit me. The other problem is that maternity clothes are either hideous and frumpy, ridiculously expensive, or more often than not, both. My friend over at Wandering Womb wrote about the very same problem a few months back. Most of my purchases from previous pregnancies have fallen apart, having been subject to a couple of years of punishing tropical weather and a great deal of washing machine abuse, but I still haven't worked out where to buy gorgeous, reasonably priced, maternity clothes. Maybe I should just take the advice of the younger members of the family, who seem to have decided lately that clothes are superfluous... Now that would be a sight to behold!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...