makar [ˈmækər]
n (Literature / Poetry) Scot a creative artist, esp a poet
[a Scot variant of maker]

Thursday, November 24, 2011



A Facebook Friend, who doesn't know I blog, wrote this as her status a few days ago:
"cannot believe how many of these 'mummy blogs' there are: people trying to show off how great that are as parents and how much they love their kids...errr yeah and what are your kid's doing while you are writing your a blog? Being ignored and neglected!"
A little harsh, I thought. Of course, I composed many replies in my head, but never quite managed to respond. I'm growing less confrontational with age and perhaps it's just not worth it. She is, after all, entitled to her opinion. However, I cannot imagine that there are many mummy bloggers out there who ignore or neglect their children to write a blog, and while I do fall in and out of love with blogging, overall I think that it is a positive and productive undertaking. If I didn't, why on earth would I do it? For me, as I imagine it is for many, blogging is a creative outlet, a way of celebrating my domestic world, and documenting the trials and tribulations, as well as the many joys of living with young children. At the end of another long, hard day, it is a way of taking stock, of focusing on what was important or interesting or special in our experiences. I find it cathartic: I feel happier and more at peace with my life when I blog. Plus, it sure beats watching crappy television, or updating your status on Facebook. Maybe my Friend should try it: she might even like it.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with everything you said (including the bit about being less confrontational as I get older.) Facebook status - meh, give me a big chunk of someone's mind any day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get so much delight and inspiration from reading blogs, I especially look forward to new posts from people I know. I read blogs almost everyday, some written by lovely mothers like you and others that are nothing to do with children and are much removed from my day to day life. I'm not sure why your friend was so upset by mummy blogs that she felt the need to disparage them, but I for one feel my life is enriched by blogs, so keep it coming, please :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the previous comments and I fear your friend probably secretly reads too many 'mummy blogs' (while her children are doing .... what?) and gets that terrible affliction 'blog anxiety' where someone else's life on the big screen looks better in someway than your own (or seems to be coping more or raising more artistic children, or doing far more crafty and cool things) so she either needs to stop reading them, or find inspiration in them or reflect on why she feels this way
    and, for the record, I can only write anything of susbtance when my kids are asleep.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...