makar [ˈmækər]
n (Literature / Poetry) Scot a creative artist, esp a poet
[a Scot variant of maker]

Friday, September 23, 2011

this [bad mother] moment

To counter all the pretty pictures and tell it like it sometimes is...

We're on the bus, coming home from a lovely lunch with some friends. Both children are covered in chocolate ice cream; to be honest, so am I. One child is crying because he is tired and doesn't want to sit in the pram; the other is sitting backwards on the seat and quietly throwing up. Nice. The bus driver is remarkably cool about this, and no one on the bus says a word, but I can feel the weight of disapproval in the air. What a bad mother! Still I clean it up, he falls asleep, we get home, everyone is fine. Just another day.

1 comment:

  1. I don't need to say it, but you know we've all had these moments. I was feeling for you when reading this story. Just weeks ago I had a child vomiting in the middle of South Beach cafe - a woman handed me some napkins to catch it all as I was stumped as to how to stem the flow and not abandon my girl. I didn't really take in the woman's face, but I'd love to be able to thank her because her simple act showed she was empathising, not deriding and right then I was feeling kinda shit.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...