makar [ˈmækər]
n (Literature / Poetry) Scot a creative artist, esp a poet
[a Scot variant of maker]

Tuesday, August 30, 2011



While one slept and the other chatted away and played with play-dough, I read this article. I'd been dreading it and, as anticipated, it made me both mad and sad. I might not know very much about child prodigies or the contemporary art market, but I believe that children should be allowed to be children. While creative expression is something to be celebrated, cherished and nurtured, I don't believe any good can come from turning a child into a commodity or applying unnecessary labels that confine or limit a child's freedom to discover all that they are. A famous artist at 4? Where do you go from there?

1 comment:

  1. Totally agree and as if that would be her motivation in life ! We all want the best for our children (and how we define what is best for them can differ) and we all probably believe that our child is truly brilliant and this is both a beautiful thing and a trap for us all.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...