makar [ˈmækər]
n (Literature / Poetry) Scot a creative artist, esp a poet
[a Scot variant of maker]

Wednesday, July 20, 2011




Towards the end of last year, my husband became a little bit obsessed with sourdough. He created something called "starter", or as he lovingly referred to it, "Uncle Fester". It bubbled away in the laundry room for a week or so, and then he (my husband, not Uncle Fester) went away for a few days. Well, let's just say, I started to notice a rather unpleasant odour in the house, which I eventually tracked down to a bubbling mass of fungus in the laundry room...Uncle Fester was swiftly consigned to the bin. To appease my disappointed husband, I signed him up for a beginner's course in sourdough baking, which he finally managed to attend a couple of weeks back. It's taught by the amazing Yoke Mardewi, whose beautiful book we have pored over, and has made him even more obsessive! At least now, the end result is a house that smells of delicious baking and bellies full of fabulous bread...


1 comment:

  1. there is nothing that makes a home feel more homely than fresh baked bread, yumm

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...