makar [ˈmækər]
n (Literature / Poetry) Scot a creative artist, esp a poet
[a Scot variant of maker]

Sunday, June 19, 2011

It's taken me a while to come to terms with the fact that holidays aren't what they used to be. During a particularly taxing moment on our first holiday with two children, my husband exclaimed: "This is just like being at home, only with less toys". He had a point. We were in no way prepared; we didn't even pack enough clothes for everyone, let alone toys. For me, holidays have always been about doing very little, somewhere warm and beautiful. I like to keep things simple: eat cheese and bread, read several fat novels, and think, think, think. Children have made things a little more complicated and we're still learning how to have a "successful" holiday, but I think we might be getting there...





1 comment:

  1. It certainly looks like you're figuring it out.
    I sometimes wonder if I'll be missing my holidays with children when I get back to the delicious sounding ones you described. We've been talking about the two day honeymoon Alex's parents are gifting us - and it looks we'll be driving 5 mile down the road to a hotel and just laying around for two days. Sounds like heaven - I'm almost ashamed to say!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...