makar [ˈmækər]
n (Literature / Poetry) Scot a creative artist, esp a poet
[a Scot variant of maker]

Tuesday, June 28, 2011





If there's one thing I've discovered from my days at home with small children, it's that things rarely turn out as planned. From cupcakes to craft activities, I've resigned myself to the incontrovertible truth that my vision of loveliness will be compromised. It's good for me: I'm learning to let go and accept that process is all, and the finished product is not nearly so important as the fun that is had making it. Take the tree mural...I had such ambitions for it...but now it is adorned with some very strange purple flowers and a couple of orange leaves. Little Miss invented a new technique of "water painting" (seems to involve flooding the kitchen floor and covering as much of the furniture as possible in watery purple paint) to colour the paper; then she drew "butterfly flowers", before practicing her cutting skills to create said tree decorations. Yep, nothing ever goes as planned and the journey is everything - pretty good life lessons for mum too.

2 comments:

  1. I find that I too have to let go of my plans and vision to make way for that of my daughters, but you are right the end result isn't all that important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those purple flowers! It looks gorgeous, and no doubt it is still evolving and the purple flowers will make way for something different and equally as pretty before long. I relate to this post very well. I have to make a very conscious effort to just let Ethan be creative for himself when we are doing craft of drawing. I try to guide him with the tools but not hinder his creativity. It's a challenge to not take over. Sometimes I ask him to be the teacher and have him show me how to draw an elephant or a rainbow and that keeps me in check! What you said is so true, it's the journey we need to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...