makar [ˈmækər]
n (Literature / Poetry) Scot a creative artist, esp a poet
[a Scot variant of maker]

Thursday, May 5, 2011



My daughter is a competitive mother: "my baby sleeps all nights"; "my baby is always good, she's never a rascal like yours"; "my baby likes to eat lots of food"; "my baby never eats crayons"; "when I put my baby in her bed, I say night, night, and she goes straight to sleep". It would appear that baby doll is the perfect baby. To begin with, I found this all very amusing, and then I started to think about why we were having these slightly surreal conversations, and it occurred to me that this is what we (mums) must sound like to her: constantly weighing up (sometimes quite literally) our children against one another. How awful that this is what she thinks it means to be a mum! How awful still that there is a lot of accuracy in her observation. We do spend a great deal of time comparing and contrasting. To some degree, I guess this is entirely natural, but I do wonder how productive it is. As a child health nurse, once said to me, "we are all so different, why do we expect our babies to be the same?" As for baby doll? Well, she is very placid and well-behaved, but I have noticed that there are a few mile stones she's not met, and for a two-year old, she still doesn't have very much hair...

1 comment:

  1. How funny! Kids are such good mirrors of our behaviour. I often cringe when I hear my boys borrowing phrases from me: do I really sound like that?
    Thank you so much for your comment on my self-doubt post. It was hard to write, but it's such a relief I'm not alone on my creative journey. x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...