makar [ˈmækər]
n (Literature / Poetry) Scot a creative artist, esp a poet
[a Scot variant of maker]

Wednesday, April 6, 2011


What I've been reading lately...

The Help by Kathryn Stockett
Brilliant and enthralling, it was universally loved at my bookgroup. A great story about female friendship, offering real insight into the lives of black woman in 1960s Mississippi.

Home Truth by Carmel Bird
Fascinating musings, from a selection of writers, on the notion of "home", something I'm exploring for my second novel. Loved the talk she chaired at the Perth Writers Festival, and that her intro begins with a quotation from the movie, E.T.

Love Falls by Esther Freud
Ever since I read Hideous Kinky, I've loved Ms Freud's gorgeous, dreamy prose. Set in sunsoaked Italy, this is definitely one to get lost in. Hmm, pure escapism is just what I need right now...


My daughter asked me to spell 'damn it" to her today. This is good because she is only 3 and a few months, and is completely obsessed with letters, writing, and reading, but doesn't exactly reflect well on my attempts at not swearing . Oh sugarlumps!!! Must try harder.

1 comment:

  1. oh cool, I'll read The Help then. My Mum has it, read it and liked it, a second opinion (no disrespect, Mum!) is always good. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...