makar [ˈmækər]
n (Literature / Poetry) Scot a creative artist, esp a poet
[a Scot variant of maker]

Monday, April 18, 2011


It must be something to do with this time of year (finally it's cool enough to think!), but I've been a bit restless of late, wondering about what to do with my life and pondering whether to take on some study. Deep down, I know I don't really have the time yet, and while the idea of learning new things and engaging my intellect appeals, the prospect of essays, deadlines, and gulp, exams, doesn't. Anyway, I've decided rather than sign myself up to getting seriously stressed and even more out of control, I'm going to construct my own required-reading list. For someone who studied literature at university for four years, there are some huge, gaping, and somewhat embarrassing holes in my reading. I hope this list will help to rectify that. So, first up is Brighton Rock by Graham Greene, which is actually a bit of a cheat because it's also my book-group's choice next month. Still, I'm all for multitasking.

Did I mention there's a new film adaptation due out? Looks good... I think a trip to the cinema might form part of the syllabus.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...