makar [ˈmækər]
n (Literature / Poetry) Scot a creative artist, esp a poet
[a Scot variant of maker]

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Hibernating


There's a cold, gusty wind blowing in through the dodgy, old louvres at the back of our house. I'm wearing my very tatty ugg boots, and the kids are tucked up in bed in their snuggle-suits. The summer is most definitely OVER, so I thought now would be a good time to remind myself of all the things I love about the winter. That way in a month's time, when I'm miserable, I can look back at this list and hopefully feel a little less glum...

Winter clothes - snuggly soft knits, boots, tights, all in gorgeous dark colours that hide a multitude of sins. Simple summer dresses are great, but my heart belongs to the layered look!

Slow cooking - letting something bubble away in the oven for 3 or more hours warms up the house, makes everything smell wonderful, and then tastes delicious.

A wood-burning fire - mesmerising and beautiful, reminds me of being a child, and always makes a place feel like home.

Tea and Coffee - suddenly seem a lot more sensible and not just a means of topping up my caffeine levels.

Bed - there's nothing like the deep, dense sleep you have when curled up under a duvet and a blanket. The downside is how hard it is to get out of bed in the morning!

Stormy skies - I have to admit after months of perfect blue expanses, it is quite exciting to see something a bit more dramatic and a little less predictable.

Rain on the roof - lying in bed, listening and knowing you are safe from the elements, feels so very good.

Hmm, I think that's enough for now. More to follow...

2 comments:

  1. What a sweet photo.
    I like your idea. I'm loving this weather right now - the length of summer this year led me to be really over it (I don't think I've felt like that before.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This photo is so beautiful in every way, I love it. x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...